SUMMER IN THE MOUNTAINS
Summer in the Mountains (SIM) is an introductory course designed to introduce people to the skills required for safe travelling in technical terrain in the mountains. It is taught by volunteers from ACC Edmonton.
The course consists of 5 classroom sessions (in Edmonton) and 3 skills weekends (in the mountains) that cover:
- clothing systems
- temperature regulation in the back-country
- camping gear: stoves, tents sleeping bags
- climbing gear: harness, helmet, ropes, belay devices, carabiners
- travel on snow
- crevasse rescue
- rock climbing
- alpine ice climbing
Classroom Sessions & Skills Weekends 2018
Classroom sessions beging Aptil 11, 2018 and continue fro 5 weeks
There will be 3 weekends
Snow and glacier travel Rock climbing, Ice climbing
Dates will be announced shortly
$90 in course fees, plus:
- All weekends are camping with fees of $20/weekend
- You provide your own camping gear, meals and transportation (carpooling) to/from the mountains.
Equipment for skills weekends must be either purchased or rented. For a complete list of equipment, please see this document.
Registrations for this course are now open. For general information and registration, please contact safety @accedmonton.ca. We look forward to seeing you out in the mountains!