Winter in the Mountains (WIM) is an introductory course designed to introduce people to the skills required for travelling in the mountains on skis. It is taught by volunteers from ACC Edmonton.
The course consists of 4 classroom sessions (in Edmonton) and up to 3 skills weekends (in the mountains) that cover:
- Cothing systems
- Temperature regulation in the back-country
Skills weekends are available so students can experience the material introduced in the lectures. on day trips, at back-country hut and/or back-country winter camping.
Skills training weekends
1st Skills Weekend: Day Trips into the Backcountry
2nd Skills Weekend: Ski in to a Backcountry Hut
Optional Snow Camping Weekends
$90.00 in course fees, plus:
- Hostel/hut accommodations for skills weekends: approx $30 per night.
- You provide your own meals and transportation (carpooling) to/from the mountains.
A full list of equipment and supplies required for the skills weekends is available in this document.
- Class room space is unlimited.
- Weekend spots are limited due to hostel space limits, and back-country restrictions.
Registrations for this course are not yet open. For general information, please email email@example.com. We look forward to seeing you out in the mountains!